I am pleased to report that the state of Louisiana has earned a failing grade, ‘F’, from National Abortion & Reproductive Rights Action League (NARAL Pro-Choice America). Here are the laws that Louisiana has to keep the lives of the unborn safe:
- Louisiana bans a safe abortion procedure, has an unconstitutional and unenforceable near-total criminal ban on abortion, and has a near-total criminal ban on abortion that would take effect if Roe v. Wade is overturned. rape, incest, life of mother only
- Louisiana law subjects women seeking abortions to biased counseling requirements and mandatory delays. 24-hour waiting period to decide NOT to kill an unborn child
- Louisiana prohibits certain state employees or organizations receiving state funds from referring for abortion services. except to preserve the life of the mother
- Louisiana law includes a strongly anti-choice policy statement. unborn child’s right to life
- Louisiana prohibits the use of public facilities for the performance of abortions.
- Louisiana allows certain individuals or entities to refuse to provide women specific reproductive health services, information, or referrals. cannot be held civilly or criminally liable for not counseling for abortion
- Louisiana restricts low-income women’s access to abortion. prohibits public funding for abortion services
- Louisiana law restricts young women’s access to abortion services by mandating parental consent. minors have to get one parent’s consent, not notice
- Louisiana has an unconstitutional and unenforceable law mandating spousal consent before a married woman may obtain an abortion. it is a law in this state, and should be in every state
- Louisiana subjects abortion providers to burdensome restrictions not applied to other medical professionals. prohibits certain qualified health care professionals from performing abortions – like receptionists, janitors
And, 92% of the state’s parishes DO NOT have abortion providers. I LOVE THE SOUTH!!
Read the rest of the article here.