Dawn Johnsen, President Obama’s nominee to head the Department of Justice’s legal office. Part of her bio (direct from Indiana U) is below and can be seen in it’s entirety here.
Directly from Indiana University, Bloomington, website:Professor Johnsen joined the faculty in 1998, following a distinguished career in Washington, D.C. She served in the U.S. Department of Justice under President Bill Clinton (1993-1998), including as Acting Assistant Attorney General heading the Office of Legal Counsel where she provided constitutional and other legal advice to the Attorney General, the Counsel to the President, and the general counsels of the various executive branch agencies. From 1988-1993, she was the Legal Director of the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League (now NARAL Pro-Choice America). She also worked at the American Civil Liberties Union Reproductive Freedom Project and clerked for Judge Richard D. Cudahy of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Her courses include Constitutional Law, the First Amendment, and Seminars in the Separation of Powers and Sexuality, Reproduction and the Constitution.
- Faithfully Executing the Laws: Internal Legal Constraints on Executive Power, 54 UCLA L. Rev. 1559 (2007)
- Lessons from the Right: Progressive Constitutionalism for the Twenty-First Century, 1 Harv. L. & Pol’y Rev. 239 (2007)
- Functional Departmentalism and Nonjudicial Interpretation: Who Determines Constitutional Meaning?, 67 Law & Contemp. Probs 105 (2004)
- Ronald Reagan and the Rehnquist Court on Congressional Power: Presidential Influences on Constitutional Change, 78 Ind. L.J. 363 (2003)
- Presidential Non-Enforcement of Constitutionally Objectionable Statutes, 63 Law & Contemp. Probs 7 (2000)
- Shared Interests: Promoting Healthy Births Without Sacrificing Women’s Liberty, 43 Hastings L.J. 569 (1992)
- The Creation of Fetal Rights: Conflicts with Women’s Constitutional Rights to Liberty, Privacy and Equal Protection, 95 Yale L.J. 599 (1986)
Now here is the rest of the story:
From Fox News: President Obama’s nominee to head the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel once compared “forced pregnancy” with slavery. Now Republicans are considering a filibuster to block her confirmation…..In a brief filed when she was a lawyer with the National Abortion Rights Action League, Johnsen cited a footnote that said forcing women to bear children was “disturbingly suggestive of involuntary servitude, prohibited by the 13th Amendment, in that forced pregnancy requires a woman to provide continuous physical service to the fetus in order to further the state’s asserted interest.”
At least 45 House Republicans have co-signed a letter to Obama asking him to withdraw Johnsen’s nomination because of her “brazen” abortion rights stance…..”The use of the ‘F’ (filibuster) word when referring to any of these nominees, Judge David Hamilton (who is Johnsen’s brother in-law) and Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, is unacceptable — and this threat will not go unanswered,” NARAL president Nancy Keenan said in a press release.
“Our activists will make it clear to their senators that derailing nominees for critical positions in the Obama administration and in the federal court simply because they have taken pro-choice positions is not an option. We will keep up the pressure until we go three for three and see these distinguished nominees confirmed by the Senate.”
To summarize – this is an EMILY’s Lister with a penchant to kill unborn children. Period.