Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky had this recent post on his site today (12-17-09). You can read the entire post here.
Senator McConnell comments: ‘The only conceivable justification for rushing this bill is the overwhelming opposition of the American people. Democrats know that the longer Americans see this bill the less they like it. Here’s the latest from Pew. It came out just yesterday….A majority (58 percent) of those who have heard a lot about the bills oppose them while only 32 percent favor them.’
…‘And here’s the most outrageous part: at the end of this rush, they want us to vote on a bill that no one outside the Majority Leader’s conference room has even seen. That’s right. The final bill we’ll vote on isn’t even the one we’ve had on the floor. It’s the deal Democrat leaders have been trying to work out in private…..at the end of this rush, they want us to vote on a bill that no one outside the Majority Leader’s conference room has even seen.’
‘But let’s just compare the process so far with previous legislation for some perspective. Here’s a snapshot of what we’ve done and where we stand:’
- The Majority Leader intends to bring this debate to a close as early as this weekend — four days from now, on this $2.5 trillion dollar mistake
- No American who hasn’t been invited into the Majority Leader’s conference room knows what will be in that bill
- This bill has been the pending business of the Senate since the last week of November — less than four weeks ago.
- We started the amendment process two weeks ago.
- We’ve had 21 amendments and motions — less than two a day.
Now let’s look at how the Senate has dealt with previous legislation:
No Child Left Behind (2001):
- 21 session days or 7 weeks.
- Roll Call votes: 44
- Number of Amendments offered: 157
9/11 Commission/Homeland Security Act (2002):
- 19 session days over 7 weeks.
- Roll Call votes: 20
- Number of Amendments offered: 30
Energy Bill (2002):
- 21 session days over 8 weeks
- Number of Roll Call votes: 36
- Number of Amendments offered: 158
Simply enough, this is a scam sham that the Democrats want to shove and push down our throats while there is a patsy president in office to get away with it. Kudos to Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi for taking what little liberty we have left and flushing it down the toilet.